Thursday, May 6, 2010


The playwright I decided to research is Tyler Perry. Tyler Perry is a writer, actor, producer, and directory. What makes Tyler Perry so inspiring to me is that he grew up having a really hard life. Perry’s father was a cruel man, in his logic to get an answer is to beat it out of you, and that’s what Perry’s father did to him throughout his childhood. “I always thought I was going to die before I grew up” said Tyler Perry. I honestly couldn’t image what he went through as a child. Not only was Perry physically abused, at age 10 his mother’s friend seduced him, also being molested by his own father. After facing all of these horrifying moments in his life at a young age Perry dropped out of high school and tried committing suicide by slitting his wrists. Thank fully the suicide attempt was a fail; Perry began to realize that he can escape his abusive family and start over a new, happy life. At age 16 Perry changed his name from Emmitt Perry Jr. to Tyler Perry. The reason behind changing his name is that he didn’t want to use his father’s name. Also he decided to go back and earn his GED and then became a carpenter’s apprentice.
Tyler Perry inspires me greatly, because he literally defines the meaning from “Rag to Riches”. The Oprah show was Tyler Perry’s first inspiration to start off his career whenever Oprah Stated “that writing down one's experiences could be cathartic”. The word cathartic, in other word means “he told the People” hearing Oprah’s insightful words gave Perry his Idea for his first production “I Know I Have Changed” in 1990. From his first production on Perry’s productions have sky rocketed. What also makes Perry’s productions show inspiring to watch his that his movies, plays, and skits are all based on real lives. For Example “Diary of a Mad Black Women” was a play and a movie, which he shows his audience, that women in abusive relationship that they aren’t alone, they can go out and seek help. Also that woman doesn’t need to stay with that man because he is rich, or if they are afraid of being alone.
What makes Tyler Perry so admirable is that he isn’t afraid to speak the truth in his plays. He isn’t afraid to tell the world about his childhood, it’s painful to read and also listen to what happened to him as a child but also for people who are going to through what he went through, they can see that they can escape away from that life and go out and accomplish amazing things. He also speaks the truth in his plays. Every play he writes he sends out a secret life message.
“Diary of a Mad Black Women” is one of his productions that I can really relate my life to. I had a couple relationships in my best where I was both physically and emotionally abused. Watching his theatre production really showed me that I shouldn’t be afraid to stand up for myself, that I am my own person, and that there are other men out there who will treat me like a princess not like a slave. Also this play showed me that I shouldn’t be afraid to discuss this problem to my friends, family, or whoever I can trust.
What also inspires me about Tyler Perry not only about his life, but, also in his theatre production. All of his plays on stage our musicals. I think musicals are harder than a regular play because for a musical actor they have to focus on everything that a normal actor focuses on but also their singing. The musical actors can’t sing to low or else the audience can’t hear them, or to loud because the audience wouldn’t be able to hear what they are singing. I liked that Perry presents his script first on stage before he produces it into a movie. Perry’s characters are all inspiring and also so hilarious especially the main character in all of his plays Madea.
Madea is the character that everyone loves to watch, but at the same time is scared to encounter her bad side. Madea’s real name is Mabel Simmons; she is an aggressive, grey-haired, bespectacled black matriarch. She will argue with anyone, frequently threatens people by pulling a gun out of her purse. She also isn’t afraid to run from the cops, but at the same time she is the character that everyone goes to for problem. Like in the play “Diary of a Mad Black Women” Helen, played by Kimberley Elise, stays with Madea for comfort. By the climax of the play Madea had motivated Helen to go back to her husbands’ house take back her belongings and show him who the better person is.
Reading about Tyler Perry’s life has taught me that no matter how hard life get’s I can still accomplish my goals and become successful. Also I am my own person no one owns me, no one directs my path in life or tells me what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment